Counter-productive UNUSED macro in connectivity/source/drivers/postgresql

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu Feb 9 01:54:18 PST 2012

On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 09:20 +0000, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> Yeah, see commentary around SAL_UNUSED_PARAMETER in sal/inc/sal/types.h,
> can replace it with that if necessary.

	If we can choose - why do we add such over-long macros ? :-)

	Everyone is still suffering daily from:

	RTL_CONSTASCII_USTRINGPARAM and it's offspring.

	Surely that should really read (for full effectiveness):

	RTL_CONST_ASCII_U_STRING_PARAMETER

	Or perhaps not ;-)

	Personally, I'd -love- someone to rename ~all of these
RTL_USTR() or RTL_STR() or somesuch - we have enough pointlessly hard to
read and indent coding around the place. Hey - we could even have an:

	RTL_USTRING("foo")

	that hid all the:

	rtl::OUString(RTL_CONSTASCII_USTRINGPARAM("foo"))

	madness from sight ;-) (though there is perhaps at least some merit in
typing all that stuff to remind you how inefficient the Ascii -> UTC2
conversion is I guess).

	Anyhow - on this topic:

	Any chance of SAL_UNUSED ? ;-) At worse, SAL_UNUSED_PARAM.

	And if that's not convincing, everyone knows that PARA METERs should be
written PARA METREs ;-)

	All the best,

		Michael (who likes higher entropy code ;-)