OK to merge the fw? libraries in framework?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu Feb 9 08:43:21 PST 2012

Hi Tor,

On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 16:59 +0200, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> BTW, one thought about using --enable-mergelibs in a Windows build
> (MSVC or Mingw, same issue) that came to my mind:

	:-)

> How is the FOO_DLLIMPLEMENTATION thing handled? Don't we in the
> --enable-mergelibs case need to add into the Library_blah.mk file for
> each library that will be part of libmerged a -DFOO_DLLIMPLEMENTATION
> for each library FOO that is part of libmerged (and that uses that
> mechanism to select between dllimport/dllexport attributes)?

	In a word - yes :-) but we didn't get there yet; and at least for the
Linux case, it isn't (I hope) a huge issue to export more stuff than we
need, and/or it somehow seems to work. [ Perhaps Matus nailed this
already ].

> Otherwise libblah will think it is importing stuff from libfoo even if
> neither libblah and libfoo actually exist, and code for both will be
> in libmerged.

	Right; ideally, of course, we'd merge -so- much that we'd start finding
lots of symbols that really are never used outside of libmerged, at
which point we can start to add:

	VCL_DLLMERGE_INTERNAL

	or somesuch instead of VCL_DLLPUBLIC [ hey we could even add a longer
essay into the macro name to please Lubos ;-].

> I hope the above makes sense, sorry if not...

	I've wondered the same myself.

	HTH,

		Michael.