Obsoleting RTL_CONSTASCII_USTRINGPARAM

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Fri Feb 10 01:54:43 PST 2012

> I'm kind of baffled by string classes that treat NUL specially.  :)

Maybe we should stop overloading the word "string" for both the
traditional C style zero byte -terminated string of bytes, and classes
in C++ or other object-oriented languages that contain a
one-dimensional array of characters  (note that I didn't say "char")
that might be mutable or not.

It is a bit sad that the C++ people didn't come up with a new term
when "string" is already so encumbered by history.

> consider the K&R approach of misusing one of the legitimate member values as
> sentinel as a bad mistake.

Bah, that is a silly argument, decisions made in the early 1970s are
set in stone by now *in the context of C and POSIX*. Don't argue they
are wrong because some geniuses later decided to use the same
terminology ("string") for something completely different.

--tml