[PUSHED] Turn on strictures for some installer Perl modules

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu Feb 16 08:48:41 PST 2012

Hi Tim,

On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 11:08 +0000, Tim Retout wrote:
> Ah, thanks for pointing me to that.  There's some nice cleanup
> possible in installer::parameter.

	:-)

> >        make cmd cmd="solenv/bin/ooinstall ..."
>
> Running this under Devel::NYTProf, I found that a good deal of the
> slowness of make_installer.pl was due to Archive::Zip, which could be
> replaced by a call to 'unzip'.  So some more nice cleanup should be
> possible in installer::archivefiles. :)

	Right; if I recall, in the past we may well have used unzip here, but
(no doubt) someone thought it would be better to use the Archive stuff.

	Quite why it takes -so- much time to do that zip / unzip phase is
really unclear to me. I imagine the design is rather suspect here.
Certainly the idea of unzipping everything into /tmp/ [ consuming some
chunk of disk space larger than the install size ], is itself odd ;-)

	IIRC, there was one phase that just needed to know what the files &
directories are inside the .zip files, and another that wants to install
them: but of course, most of those .zip files are created during the
install process [ to avoid needing scp2/ fragments for lots of little /
similar files ].

	So - it's all a bit silly really I think :-) but I know a number of
builders who would be thrilled to get a quicker build time & the archive
handling phase is quite a chunk of that ...

	Thanks,

		Michael.