[PUSHED] x11 / cairo-less build try #3

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Mon Feb 20 00:21:27 PST 2012

On 02/17/2012 05:52 PM, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 17:55 +0100, Riccardo Magliocchetti wrote:
>> $ ./soffice.bin
>> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'com::sun::star::loader::CannotActivateFactoryException'
>> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> 	Nice - IMHO this is all a bit silly - the 'main' has no wrapper 'catch'
> around it, so if we get an un-caught exception we bomb out in a very
> unpleasant way for no particularly good reason.
>
> 	If you poke at desktop/source/app/sofficemain.cxx you'll see some
> #ifdef ANDROID-ness that adds a try / catch around 'main'. In theory
> there is an unoexceptionwrapper that can be put around this stuff with
> some magic, but ...
>
> 	Stephan - is there a reason why we would not catch and print something
> helpful (a native dialog?) on unhandled exceptions around master ?

In my experience, such exceptions typically indicate a programming error
(either in actual program code, or in the way the bits of the program
are combined into an installation set).  And for programmers, it is
often more helpful to see the direct consequences of such error than
some "helpful" mediation on LO's part (like the infamous "The user
language cannot be determined" message, typically caused by some problem
that has zero to do with any locale data, only leading devs to start
searching in the wrong direction).

Stephan