Building LibreOffice on Windows

Jesús Corrius jesus at softcatala.org
Mon Feb 20 08:01:12 PST 2012

> Did you go with cmake, a cmake-style solution (something which
> converted makefiles to VS projects) or manually maintained them?

Manually maintained.
I started using cmake but it had to be discarded for some reason.
Unfortunately I don't remember why, but it was a long time ago so it
may not be an issue anymore.

>> Of course, it might also be that some people would see it as a good
>> thing if the only compiler supported would be gcc. Sure, that would
>> reduce the unpleasant tediousness of writing portable code.
>
> I'm in the latter group - I think it's better to support multiple
> compilers, as it forces portable code - thus I agree with the current
> msvc efforts, as well as the recent llvm efforts.

I am still unconvinced that free compilers are able to produce
enterprise ready binary code for Windows. For my professional
experience, at the end there's always something that doesn't work well
(what's that ATL stuff code doing in my project? Why shell doesn't
compile with mingw? etc. etc.)

--
Jesús Corrius <jesus at softcatala.org>