Building LibreOffice on Windows

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Mon Feb 20 08:30:15 PST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 05:42:11PM +0200, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> And the slowness of Cygwin's  forking and executing the various Perl,
> shell and whatnot processes involved in each file being compiled (note
> the pipe to filter-showIncludes.pl) has nothing to do with it?

Not the last time I benchmarked it (which was long before
filter-showIncludes.pl). For the most part the slowness of forking on windows
was related to some latency, i.e. a new process would take some time to get
started, but it wouldnt eat cycles for that, thus making it irrelevant in a
parallel build (where its all about the cpu cycles eaten).

Also note that forking and process creation are exactly the point where various
virus-scanners hook in (and some fubar the memory layout of the forked process:
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda).

Best,

Bjoern