Has the time come to get rid of the "delivering" of public headers?

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Tue Feb 21 06:34:20 PST 2012

Hi Tor,

On Tuesday, 2012-02-21 10:02:50 +0200, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

> Has the time come to get rid of the "delivering" step for public
> headers? I.e. for a header <MODULE/BAR.hxx>, instead of having it in
> MODULE/inc/MODULE/BAR.hxx and then copying it to
> solver/INPATH/inc/MODULE/BAR.hxx as part of the "make" of MODULE, it
> could be directly in a new top-level "inc" directory, in
> inc/MODULE/BAR.hxx all the time. (Obviously -I$(SRC_ROOT)/inc would
> have to be added to the compilation flags.)

I see no technical reason against it, but I wouldn't like it because
then the headers belonging to a module wouldn't be located in the module
anymore. Actions performed on a module would need to take that
additional inc path into account, for example grep, module local tags
and ID databases, and maybe more. Doxygen?

  Eike

GnuPG key 0x293C05FD : 997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD