Has the time come to get rid of the "delivering" of public headers?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Feb 22 06:09:49 PST 2012

On Tuesday 21 of February 2012, Michael Stahl wrote:
> > 	I wonder how bad the alternative of adding -I$S/svx/inc -I$S/vcl/inc
> > etc. etc. is for command-line length ?
>
> would need to try that out on Windows, but my guess is that even if it
> doesn't blow out command line length limits (which could be worked
> around with a response file) it'll make the Windows build a lot slower
> because compiler has to try out all include paths (well statistically
> half of them but that is bad enough) for every included files, and those
> file accesses take forever on Windows.

 Could not the windows build be helped by having only one location for include
files where a script would at the beginning of the build create for each .hxx
file a small wrapper with the same name only doing #include of the real one,
with the right path to it?

 And, since I'm already asking, is the Windows performance the reason include
files are scattered this way? E.g. in sw/ I find this actually rather
annoying, some .hxx files are in inc/, some next to .cxx sources, Writer
AFAIK does not really export anything anyway, and I always have to jump
around just to find the right header file :(.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz