LIcensing of libwp* and its effect on that of libcdr and libvisio

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Feb 27 13:30:01 PST 2012

Hi Tor,

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 20:00 +0200, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> The older libwpd, libwpg and libwps libraries are LGPLv2+ The newer
> libcdr and libvisio libraries written in the same style are
> MPL/LGPL.v+2/GPLv2+

	Right.

> However, as they depend on libwp* stuff, and link to them (statically)
> or maybe include inline C++ code from libwp* headers, that is
> irrelevant, isn't it, they effectively become LGPLv2+-only, too?

	Linking statically might have an unintended licensing impact (IANAL),
but my hope would be that we could re-work the (fairly small?) parts of
libwp* that are required for libcdr / libvisio and/or persuade the
authors to MPL dual license them, such that we can ship them on iOS :-)
[ I assume that is the question behind the question ].

	Presumably some sort of audit would be necessary there; fun as it
is ;-) I'll prolly delay doing that until after the go-oo & libreoffice
audits are done [ currently in progress ].

	So - for iOS, I guess that means disabling them in configure /
elsewhere for now.

	HTH,

		Michael.