String literals, ASCII vs UTF-8

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Tue Feb 28 10:27:29 PST 2012

On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 18:40 +0100, Eike Rathke wrote:
> As soon as Calc will use OUString instead of String for cell content and
> formula results exactly that will happen..

	:-)

> I've seen Calc abused as a front end for some sort of web CMS, holding
> entire HTML "template" fragments in one cell ... complaint was that not
> more than 64k characters would fit into a formula result when
> concatenating those ...

	Sure - so, then I guess we need to be slightly careful about those code
paths.

> People also complained about Writer paragraphs being limited to 64k
> characters ... that's ~15 pages of eye-tiring continuous lines, but ...

	Right - but - what failure mode are we going to have here ? so we
manage somehow to catch a std::bad_alloc exception - what do we do
then ? beyond hitting something like the crash handler it's hard to know
what: refusing to load the document, discarding existing document
state ? [ do we want a "per document crash" functionality ? ;-]

> I doubt anyone would actually do that, so we could only hope for memory
> allocation exiting the application gracefully in that case.

	Sure - no doubt we'll get a NULL pointer back at some stage and
beautifully de-reference it ;-) so - I don't know that even the dumb
things that people use writer / calc for justify the exception - unless
we have some sensible and user-comprehensible strategy for cleaning up
after it.

	All the best,

		Michael.