[Libreoffice] [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [REVIEW 3-5: Late feature] Improvements in the header / footer behavior

Cedric Bosdonnat cbosdonnat at suse.com
Mon Jan 2 00:54:55 PST 2012

Hello everyone,

Sorry for my lack of responsiveness... but I was on holidays last week.

On Fri, 2011-12-30 at 18:18 +0100, Stefan Knorr (Astron) wrote:
> > Yeah ;-) - it is hard to make everyone happy, though I am not that
> > convinced that introducing one more option is the right solution.
>
> Agree with that completely.

I agree with that too... though someone suggested me once that we could
have some hidden expert configuration feature a la mozilla. This kind of
configuration would be the ones that would appear only in that expert
config thing. That being said we can introduce some XCS/XCU file entry
for it without showing it an the UI ;)

> > So - what I'll try to do is that the appearing will start later (not 1
> > sec, but maybe 200 - 500 ms), but the functionality will be available
> > immediately when the mouse is there; so the impatient user who knows
> > where to click will be able to perform immediately, while the extensive
> > mouse traveller will not be annoyed.  Hopefully that will be the best
> > from the both worlds :-)
>
> Sounds good. Almost wanted to propose that yesterday, but didn't dare
> because you had patches already.

I have no strong opinion on that.

> >> And... is it possible to show the controls only on a single page? See
> >> the attached screenshot - it's absolutely crazy! %-)
>
> Not pretty... but a corner case nevertheless. If you have enough
> resources to fix all of these rendering bugs for 3.5 that would be
> great, but hopefully these won't hurt too much otherwise.

Indeed, not pretty :)

> So, for the future, we have the following drawing bugs present here:
> * Page breaks: When moving with the mouse cursor from one page break
> to the next very quickly, their little tabs don't disappear any more

I'll have a look at that.

> * Page breaks: The dotted lines are drawn above the little tabs

That can be fixed quickly.

> Another one that annoys me quite a bit (but can't be seen in Ivan's screenshot):
> * Page breaks: the dotted line seems to move forward instead of just
> being overlaid by the tab.

Ok, I'll fix that one as it causes another bug (flickering tab when
moving the mouse over the left end of the line)

> > :-) The thing is that you are really editing all the pages at the same
> > time (header applies to all of them).  The way out of that might be
> > showing the dashed line on all the pages, but the control only on the
> > page where you have the mouse pointer.  I'll try how hard will that be.
>
> Agree with your solution, but note: the header indicators are shown on
> _all_ pages, not just those with the same header style. If there's a
> page using another header style, no indicator should be shown at all.

What about showing only the two tabs of the currently "selected"
page(s)? It's just a wild idea without code consideration ATM ;)

--
Cedric