[Libreoffice] How to write an import filter?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Wed Jan 4 07:50:29 PST 2012

Hi mete0r,

On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 01:29 +0900, mete0r wrote:
> I'm interested in learning how to write an import filter for some legacy
> document formats. I tried to figure out by myself but failed. Could you
> point some documents / wiki pages, or even some files in the source code
> repository?

	Lovely ! :-) so, the best filters to base your code on are probably
Fridrich's - I imagine the libvisio code is (by now) the most recent and
prolly best place to look - at least for a drawing filter. Otherwise
'libwpd' for a document one. Sadly Fridrich's slides on "writing import
filters for LibreOffice" didn't make it to here:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/SpecialEvents/LibreOffice_Conference_2011_Paris#Media_Used_For_Presentations_At_The_LibreOffice_Conference_2011

> Especially I need to know how to register an import filter to the
> libreoffice installation and how the core invokes a filter, i.e. the
> entry points of the filters, to start some hacking.

	Sure - so that stuff is non-obvious at least initially; so I would tend
to just gut an existing filter - and leave it up to someone who wants to
merge your patch :-) and/or perhaps Fridrich (having been through it so
many times) has document it with a HOWTO by now ;-)

	Anyhow - excited to have you involved, what file format are you
particularly interested in ?

	All the best,

		Michael.