[Libreoffice] fdo 44516 label printing misplaced; advise asked

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Fri Jan 13 04:59:25 PST 2012

On 01/13/2012 12:26 PM, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	Another thing that interests me is that parsing the configuration,
> despite all Stephan's good work in configmgr to speed it up, still takes
> real time and space: say 4% of our startup and a chunk of RAM. If we
> look at the sizes of our config using a simple:
>
>   That makes me wonder whether either:
>
> 	a) we can/should split out the Labels tree until
> 	   it is actually needed / used with some configmgr trick
> or
> 	b) use a different format / chunk of code for label
> 	   descriptions

The decision to read in *all* data upfront in the new configmgr design
was kind of a gamble.  It significantly simplified the code and data
layout, while appearing fast enough for contemporary desktop hardware to
be acceptable.  There is no easy "configmgr trick" to split out a chunk
of data to be only read on demand.  If we would need such a feature, it
would be some work to add it.  (And "a 3% CPU cycle / startup win" does
not sound too exciting to me, being rather fine with the start up
performance of LO from a user's perspective, at least on Linux and Mac
OS X.)

However, I would prefer improving configmgr (if need be) over switching
the label data to yet another format.

Stephan