[Libreoffice] Check for updates uses keep-alive / impacts the server (opengrok, tinderbox..)

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 01:54:46 PST 2012

Hi Michael, all

Michael Meeks-2 wrote

> I -imagine- we want clients to poll at intervals, instant notification of
> updates is
> not a useful feature to pay for millions of open sockets on the server
> for.

I hope you guys manage to fix this for RC1. Currently only the Beta version
has this feature. Considering that only a small proportion of users are
brave enough to try Betas and that Updates are only checked manually, it is
worrying that this can have an impact on the server...

IMO polling at intervals is also overkill (both for the user and for the
servers). LO should have an option to Check at startup or Check manually
(which disables automatic checking)

Just my 2 (non-dev) cents ;)

Regards,
Pedro