[Libreoffice] Structural QA activities

David Tardon dtardon at redhat.com
Wed Jan 18 22:58:04 PST 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 02:13:24PM +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > It just needs someone from the project to liaise with them and get it
> > set up.
>
> 	It'd be great to have someone that could run this for us and share the
> report (if their license allows that). It'd make some great fruit for
> easy hacks.
>
> 	Then again - please do reach out to them again - perhaps things will go
> better this time ? [ asking for a free (evaluation?) license might be
> good too if someone wanted to set this up ].

Hi,

Red Hat has been running coverity internally on all RHEL/Fedora rpms for
~6 months now and a tool has been developed to simplify that for our
developers (i.e., send a source rpm, wait for results :-) The good news
is we are allowed to share the results. The not so good news is we only
have results for 3.4.3 (because we did not package anything newer at the
time of the last run) and the coverity tool seems to have problems with
C++11 stuff in libstdc++'s headers, so more recent runs are failing.

When time permits (i.e., after 3.5.0 is out :-), I am going to think of
a way to do semiautomatic runs for master (let's say once a week) and
publish the results somewhere (probably splitted by category, to allow
more people to fix things without clashing with each other). Also create
an easy hack for it (or, better, one for each category?)

Note that the level of false positives is very high: the first run we
did found more than 3500 defects and my guesstimate is that more than 80 %
of them were false positives (I went through several categories--about
500 defects in total--and fixed what I could, but I did not count :-)

D.