[Libreoffice] [libo-marketing-priv] Nl Libre marketing

Luc Castermans luc.castermans at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 05:40:56 PST 2012

2012/1/20 Cor Nouws <oolst at nouenoff.nl>:

>> Little thinking experiment:
>>
>> With today''s versions, what would that bring:
>>
>> - stable = 3.3.4
>> - unstable = 3.4.3 or 3.4.5.  or 3.5rc1 or  ....
>

> Sorry Luc, I should/could have informed you before on this discussion (since
> you ones touched it in a mail).
> 3.4.3 and up are as stable as 3.3.4 and have many advantages.
> I'll see if I can mail a summary later :-)
> However, there is some info here of course:
>
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Main_Page/nl#LibreOffice_Stabiel_.2F_B.C3.A8ta_.2F_Release_kandidaten
>
> Let's first see (next mail) if we can improve the download page.

Hey Cor,

I think you miss my point.

Irrespective of 3.4.3 and 3.3.4 having way better features, it is too
confusing. In this case specially so because the version numbers are
very alike.

My point is that users cannot distinguish too many versions.
I really think 2 is way enough. Simply there is not more space in
their minds to capture more. They do not want to invest in this.

If we offer them a version it should be one they can use, which is
stable etc. On top we could offer one version which we consider
unstable, could contain bugs, etc.

I checked the blog, chapter 3:

http://blog.documentfoundation.org/2011/05/13/announcing-a-new-beta-release/

Understand 3.1 and 3.2 but not 3.3; I'd say if a version is mature
enough it becomes 3.1; this completes the loop.

On this blog, which should be on the normal pages, you refer to other
packages, like KDE.   Per today you'll find there:

Current KDE SC Releases
KDE SC 4.7.3 (stable version)
KDE SC 4.8 Beta2 (unstable version, only for testing)

Hence: 2 versions, one stable and one unstable.

With my proposed way of working, the Download button should simply
point to the stable release, users wanting the
unstable one can be point to a 2-click-away download.

Maybe we can discuss in the upcoming marketing call.

Regard,

--
Luc Castermans
mailto:luc.castermans at gmail.com