[Libreoffice] [Libreoffice-qa] weird shortcut key for repeat action in Writer

Stefan Knorr (Astron) heinzlesspam at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 23 03:41:14 PST 2012

Hi Pedro,

> That would be too simple. See my example in the previous email.
> You would need to match the keys for EACH keyboard model, regardless of
> Locale.

Well, that doesn't scale (at least I can't believe it does), as it
would probably make adding keyboard layout stuff a full-time job and
add quite a few MB of install size.
(But I am biased because I am currently annoyed at the fact that only
because I use a German keyboard (with Strg, Einf, Druck printed on the
Ctrl, Ins, Prnt keys), I also get these German key names in my English
LibO interface. That looks ugly, especially on screenshots.)

> This is particularly true for laptops (at least in Portugal...). All laptops
> sold in Portugal have a Portuguese layout but the Special keys (like Ctrl,
> Alt, Insert) have the English text. Obviously manufacturers do this to save
> on producing specific keys. So Locale doesn't solve the problem.

That's really arrogant on the part of manufacturers (since Portuguese
is quite an important language, I believe), but if that really is the
case for most Portuguese computers, then it might make sense to
translate string [en-US]="Ctrl" as string [pt-PT]="Ctrl", etc. But
that decision should be left to the localisers.
If keys are actually uncommon in a certain locale, like SysRq is
becoming (in all locales, though), then we can only avoid using that
for default shortcuts.

Regards,

Astron.