[Libreoffice] Database of areas for SAL_INFO etc.

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Jan 24 07:40:23 PST 2012

 Hello,

 as already discussed on IRC, I think it would be a good idea to have a list
of debug areas written down somewhere.

 It is meant to be just a plain text file (so not used by code) and the
reasoning is:

- the area is just a text string and without a list we could end up
with "sw.doc" vs "sw.ww8" vs "sw.word" used in related code, just because
it's been written by different people who used whatever they made up at the
moment

- it is also important to know what each area is actually for, so that not
only the same area is used when writting the code, but it's also easy to find
out what debug info to enable when debugging something (after a year with
writerfilter I still don't know how to use its ~10 different debug switches,
so I rather go with printf)

- it may be incomplete, but that's still better than not having it at all and
having the problems listed above instead

 I intend to put just a short note to the documentation in sal/log.hxx
pointing to this file (so that additions wouldn't trigger rebuilds), but I'm
not sure where to put the file itself. I've been thinking sal/DEBUG , but
that doesn't look very good to me. Does somebody know where a good place for
such a file would be?

 Thanks.

PS: A good place meaning that people would actually be able to find it and use
it, which rules out the option of burying it in some random wiki page.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz