[Libreoffice] [REVIEW] 3-5, 3-5-0, 3-4 corrupted Indic characters and crash under Windows fdo#44208, fdo#45107

Andras Timar timar74 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 02:52:45 PST 2012

Hi,

Yesterday two bugs came to my attention.
fdo#44208 - under Windows crash occurred when user selected Tools -
Options in selected Indian locales
fdo#45107 - under Windows garbage characters appeared at random places
in selected Indian locales
I suspected a font issue. Interestingly, these bugs are not
reproducible on all systems, but at least I could reproduce them on
clean Windows XP and clean Windows 7 64-bit. On my other Windows XP,
which is 6 years old, and there are many fonts from different sources
installed, the bugs were not reproducible.

I did not find how to fix the crash, but I found a workaround, and
that also solved fdo#45107. In VCL.xcu I replaced the iso code of
problematic Indian locales to language code only.
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=82e0266b05dd53d0ce8b12bd5c76ae25872b87a9
I was too greedy, Fridrich fixed it after me:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=86bf32c487852f4e466b27320e3724266cb53dba

I would like to have these commits in libreoffice-3-5,
libreoffice-3-5-0, and libreoffice-3-4. These are rather serious
issues, that make Indian localizations useless under Windows.

Also, if somebody (Caolán?) knows how VCL.xcu works today, please help
to update the documentation in wiki:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LibreOffice_Localization_Guide#Define_the_default_fonts_for_the_locale
If for example "ta-IN" entry was ignored, and it works with "ta", then
we need to review the whole file, because many locales have country
codes, while UI localization uses only language code. Should we add
entries for locales which are not there? Moreover, I'm not sure if the
recently fixed fdo#43984 works at all (it uses zh-cn and zh-hk locale
codes).

Thanks,
Andras