New way to modify nested uno structs in LibreOffice BASIC

Noel Power nopower at suse.com
Thu Jul 5 01:22:01 PDT 2012

On 05/07/12 02:47, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
> On 07/04/2012 03:23 PM, Noel Power wrote:
>> with
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=1720641bf36306fc296635925e571556ced8a302
>> a long standing wrinkle with modifying nested structs in basic should
>> be eliminated

[ blah blah blah ]
> The behavior change scares me a bit. I seem to remember some time back
> that there was a reason for this behavior, but I was given that
> information many years back..... I discussed it in Berlin
I'd be interested if you can recall
> Do you intend to change UNO so that structures return as a reference
> (very dangerous, don't do it), or only when used in basic as
> object.structure.property? This may be workable / safe, but may break
> some existing code (although I can't think of any code that it would
> break).
there is no change to uno only how basic handles an already acquired uno
structure ( either one defined locally or fetched from some other uno
operation )

> I feel silly asking this, since if you know how to change the
> behavior, then you likely know more about this than I (I don't know
> how to change the behavior).

being bitten ( often ) by changing basic I understand the fear :-) But,
I can't see that this change would be 'dangerous' it surely is the
correct and desired behaviour ( but maybe indeed I am missing something
and perhaps influenced by a long irritation with the way it worked
before ). Of course the caveat is there is always a risk of some
unexpected side-effect with any change ( especially true in basic )

Noel