gerrit [was: minutes of ESC call ...]

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 00:49:33 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:
> Machine cannot determine dependency among patches, and I see no reason here
> to try to do so nevertheless, with whatever heuristic.  Rather, I prefer if
> the user has to mark patches as dependent or not.  If the current interface
> makes it too easy for users to erroneously mark patches as dependent, then
> we should consider redesigning the interface.

Think of it as a graph.

A set of patch based on a known base is presumed to be
order-dependant, because they _could_ and typically are.
so when gerrit receive a set of new patches on top of a given base he
rightly assume that their order _is_ important.

I know this is a problem for those whose workflow involve piling a
bunch of unrelated patches and then pushing once a day or so.
There are some scripting that has and can be done to accommodate this workflow.

Norbert