What is bibisect? And what is it doing in my office?

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 07:39:36 PDT 2012

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Robinson Tryon
<bishop.robinson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll set up a machine as a buildbot so that I can test my changes.

Here's my first shot at bibisect integration into tinbuild2. I threw
together a couple of test files to make it easier to test the bibisect
part without running a whole new build, I plundered Bjoern's bibisect
code to make the output more in line with the existing bibisect repos
(probably still needs improvements), and I added a number of tests
throughout the do_bibisect_push() function to ensure that all of the
steps of the tinbuild phase are executed properly.

I've tested these changes on Ubuntu 12.04, but I'd love to get
feedback from people running buildbots on other OSes.

Couple of notes:
The code currently adds every build to the bibisect repository, but
nightly builds might be often enough (or should we shoot for a "strict
64 commits interval" ?)

Git push to a local-filesystem remote (e.g. "fake-remote" made by
redo-repos.sh) is fast. It'll be interesting to see how slow push is
to a physically distant remote. Will there be a big repack hit as the
repository grows to include dozens of builds?

--R