gerrit for 3-6, LibreOffice gerrit bot & wrong Merged status

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Sun Jul 15 17:45:13 PDT 2012

Hi David,

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 10:53:42PM +0200, David Ostrovsky wrote:
> Huh?! What is that for? it makes no sense for me to simultaneously
> submit to gerrit and to push directly to master (and thus bypass
> gerrit).

Yes, it does make sense. You can push to master directly and still do the
(required) review for the release branch on gerrit.

> Note 2: in the long term (unsure how long, though ;-) there will be
> no way to push directly to master (and bypass gerrit) anyway.

Thats not true. There will always be a way to push directly to master for
Commiters. That might summon an instant forks-and-torches-mob in the future if
by doing so you break master (while everyone else does not and is reasonably
sure about that through means of gerrit), but it will still be possible.

> *or* to submit it only to gerrit (master or specific branch), wait
> for verification and once approved and merged,
> push it to all other branches (manually for now or even through
> gerrit later).

That wont work with gerrit as gerrit will reject the change as "I have already
seen this one" on any branch after that (which is the unfortunate behavior).
So without patching gerrit, we need tooling to regenerate the Change-Id upon
cherry-pick for review.

Best,

Bjoern