[GSoC 2012][Collaboration] status, ideas

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Jul 16 05:57:47 PDT 2012

Hi Matus,

On Sat, 2012-07-14 at 19:49 +0200, Matúš Kukan wrote:
> I've pushed 10 more patches, all because I wanted to do the last one -
> inviting people into MUC.

	Sounds really good :-)

> - Inviting contacts is possible.
> This seem to work. I also played with .service and .client files
> mentioned in tubes/README.

	Lovely.

> And it works! I was able to invite a contact and after accepting in VM
> in empathy, Channel Dispatcher has executed .../soffice --calc as told
> in org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Client.LibreOffice.service.
> I was thinking that it could run .../soffice --accept-tube, so we know
> why Libreoffice is started and do something clever ;-)

	Yep; that's the idea I guess - we'd need to hack desktop/source/app/
cmdline etc. bits to pass through the identifier of the tube to accept,
and find some elegant way of plugging that into desktop/ I guess.

> Also, what's not intuitive is that, when you select a contact and
> press Collaborate, the account to which the contact belongs to is
> connecting to liboroom at conference.jabber.org.
> So not the contact you see in the dialog. Check in terminal.

	Oh - right; so we create a chat-room and invite them to it ?

> Or more importantly: what should happen ?
>   - when someone wants to start a session with us, he sends us file
> and then we can start collaborating on it ?

	Yes - I think that's about right.

>     There is no other case when someone sends us file ?

	There are some nasty cases I suspect when we loose the connection and
have local changes, and need to reconcile them, but - for now,
send-file-to-new-connector is the right thing to do I think.

>     But still, after receiving new channel [4], I need to accept it,
> receive the file and then bind the channel to that file ?
> I guess I need to take a rest and think again later.

	Right; there is a need to associated XFrames - or SfxSomething's with
collaboration sessions I suppose that bit needs doing; of course we'll
prolly want protocol support for that; since conceivably we could
connect to the same user to edit two documents over the same stream; I
suggest generating some random UUID for that document when we start the
session.

> - I broke INTERCEPT=demo mode.

	Fine ;-) I'll fix it when I next need to demo things.

> Should I start working on side-bar widget we can dock ? Any hints ?

	Sounds good to me, but as you say:

> But I think that we need to improve receiving channels and files,
> handle TeleManager properly and everything related.

	This infrastructural work is really badly needed, and it's great to see
you getting to grips with it ! :-) I would get the code structure, and
association between documents and collaboration sessions sorted out
first - as you suggest :-)

	Nice work,

		Michael.