A solution to calculation of odd roots of negative numbers with Calc

Albert Thuswaldner albert.thuswaldner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 12:13:31 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 7:14 PM, marlon orlando barahona alvarez
<ingmarov at gmail.com> wrote:
> when we try to calculate the cube root of -27 (using the formula = POWER
> (A1, 1/3) -3 Calc should give us but gives us the message # VALUE!

Sorry, It was a long time since I went to the university, but I if I'm
correct you want to calculate:
(-27)^(1/3) (note it is the same as 3x(-1)^(1/3) which to my mind
results in an complex number (not -3) thus the #VALUE!.

just to double check:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%28-27%29^%281%2F3%29&lk=4
/Albert