C++11 in LibreOffice

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Jul 23 02:44:57 PDT 2012

Hi Lubos,

On Mon, 2012-07-23 at 11:04 +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > But no doubt more work is ahead to further optimize this structure.
>
>  Where's the benchmark for that? I'd like to see what difference it makes, but
> I cannot find anything in the blog post.

	Benchmark ? as in a huge sheet that performs poorly ? that's pretty
easy, banal examples abound - and better data structures are at the root
of fixing all of them. So - for example fill column A with 1 and
copy-down =A1 from B1 to fill column B. With the planned new data
structures we can slowly move this to being as instant and tiny as it
deserves to be (based on the ~absence of information in the sheet) ;-)

	We have some huge scope for really exciting optimisations, memory
improvements, efficiency wins & more with this new structures, although
much of the fun will come from sharing formulae, re-working the
dependency logic to be based on blocks of similar formulae and other fun
things :-) calc is a really fertile place to hack there, though
naturally there is a -lot- of work to do yet before ScCell is dead ;-)
[ assuming I managed to persuade everyone that is a good idea ;-].

	ATB,

		Michael.