Work in progress to allow for editing of read-only documents

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Fri Jun 1 08:45:21 PDT 2012

On 05/31/2012 11:51 AM, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 10:09 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
>> Nevertheless, I would appreciate it if people versed with the details of
>> the various applications could give it a try, to see whether it breaks
>> any obscure behaviour.  (For example, there is reportedly already some
>> support in Writer for editing form content of r/o documents.  Does this
>> patch affect that?)
>
> 	I'll send you a sample document with the wunder-interoperable fields in
> it.

Hm, with both my changed master as well as a stock 3.5, I could only get
that document to expose editable fields when the document was in r/w
mode and non-editable fields when the document was in r/o mode.  So not
sure that document (or the way I inspected it) helps verify I broke
something.

>> I'll try to get the Calc (and other applications?) problems fixed as
>> soon as possible (I only noticed that problem now that I thought I was
>> mainly done, but had only ever tested my changes with Writer), but am

Turned out the Calc thing was independent of my changes;
<http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=477c2229d2532a11ec8c81b9ef392ce49357f95c>
"Missing initialization" fixes that.

>> reluctant to press this into master towards LO 3.6 so short before
>> feature freeze.  Experience won over the last weeks indicates that too
>> many surprises lurk in this area.  So I would really like to hear other
>> people's thoughts.
>
> 	How many unit tests did we get out of that experience ;->  if there were
> some, I'd be well up for putting it into 3.6. If we find it causes

Yeah, unit tests would have been nice.  <fill in lame excuse of choice
here...>

> significant problems, it looks small enough to back out reasonably
> easily (right?).

Indeed.  So I boldly pushed this now as
<http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=b9ecec7c74687ed5a9470cffb7d02e0e6e83107e>
"Allow for editing of read-only documents" (with one small change
compared to the earlier patch, so that r/o non-ODF documents correctly
open as r/o, too).

Stephan