[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Disabling file opening and saving in print preview mode

Jean-Francois Nifenecker jean-francois.nifenecker at laposte.net
Sun Jun 3 06:49:28 PDT 2012

Le 03/06/2012 15:23, Stefan Knorr (Astron) a écrit :
> Hello again,
>
> so, one thing is always sure, when Regina writes here: lots of the
> misunderstandings I have about the inner workings of the product are
> resolved. Thanks!

;)

> But still...
>
> it would be
> a useful feature for the PDF export dialogue

I didn't ask for that. I just noted that the page preview is not limited
to printing and may have other uses.

Anyway, if it is easy to export a PDF over and over again, I think it is
better to handle the dirty details before.

> The most useful thing about the Page Preview indeed seems to be
> modifying margins. But that is only useful for Calc users, since in
> every other application it is trivial to turn on rulers in the main
> view/rulers are by default turned on in the main view. For the
> uninitiated, it might also be somewhat counterintuitive to set the
> page margins in the Page/Print Preview.

It is not only counter-intuitive (BTW, there's not such thing as
intuition when it comes to IT), it is *difficult* and highly imprecise.
I have trained 5 groups to Calc (entry-level, 35 people in all) during
the last two weeks and all agreed that setting margins is more precise
with the Format/Page dialog and that the page preview is quite
unpracticable to this regard.

--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux