[Libreoffice-qa] Gerrit auto-merge

David Tardon dtardon at redhat.com
Sun Jun 3 23:02:43 PDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 10:51:25AM +0200, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> So -- people with commit rights are not the issue:
> - can commit directly to master on their own responsibility
>   (this should be discouraged, except for urgent buildbreaker fixes that save
>    everyone pain)

Do I see the beginning of some "CWS" process here? Anyway, if the
objective is to avoid build problems, then I think it is completely
misplaced, because:

* no amount of reviewing is going to cover all the configurations people
  build with
* most of build problems are on Windows and MacOS X and we do not have
  enough people there (c.f. the recent threads regarding testing of
  feature/gbuild_*)
* we already have tinderboxes for exactly that reason

> - can submit patches for review. Since we intend to assign a "patch pilot" each
>   week, his patch will be on master after <24 hours, unless there are questions

Why not, if it is not mandatory... But I, for one, am not expecting any
spectacular results.

>   about it (in which care it is sane to hold back until this is clarified)

> - if you want to be faster, team up with someone for mutual review and you can
>   be as fast as you want

I do not think it is a good idea to start to do that for master commits
wholesale. We have hardly enough people to review fixes for stable
branches.

D.