OpenGrok Search Upon Link Click

Daniel Bankston daniel.dev.libreoffice at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 14:04:06 PDT 2012

On 06/12/2012 03:23 PM, Joel Madero wrote:
> Hi All,
> Wondering if the behavior of opengrok is what is expected. My issue is
> that when I click on a variable name it takes me to the search page of
> opengrok and puts in the name as the description instead of as a full
> search. This rarely (actually never) comes up with anything. For
> instance if I do a regular full search as: validate between, it comes
> up with a list, I go into validate.src, then I click on
> SC_VALIDDLG_DATA_BETWEEN
> <http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/s?defs=SC_VALIDDLG_DATA_BETWEEN&project=core> and
> it will place SC_VALIDDLG_DATA_BETWEEN
> <http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/s?defs=SC_VALIDDLG_DATA_BETWEEN&project=core> in
> the description of a search, clicking search comes up with no results.
> Seems like it would be much more functional for the link to place the
> object name in the full search line.
>
> Just thinking out loud.
>

> Joel

Hi, Joel,

That way never works for me, so I don't use it.
My experience was that it took some getting used to, to effectively use
opengrok, and I'm sure there's still things I could learn.  Make sure
you read the help page http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/help.jsp.

For what you are wanting to do to since you know a specific symbol name,
I would recommend, for example, typing SC_VALIDDLG_DATA_BETWEEN into the
Symbol search box if you want to see places it is used.  (The Definition
and Symbol search boxes are case sensitive.)  If you want to limit the
directories that are searched, for example sc, type in sc in the File
Path search box in conjunction with the above.  (core/sc more
specifically, but just sc seems to work.)

--Daniel