Status of OOXML support in Libre Office

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Wed Jun 13 03:49:04 PDT 2012

Hi Aakriti,

On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 16:10 +0530, Aakriti Gupta wrote:
> I am looking for a tool to convert MS Office file formats to pdfs.
> I have been investigating the support for OOXML by LibreOffice,
> specifically, export of OOXML formats to PDF.

	Sounds like LibreOffice would be an ideal tool for that; you can do a
command line conversion with --convert-to - run soffice --help to see
some examples.

> These are certain obvious bugs which have been filed too:
> - The gradient in background colors, shapes, etc. is exported
> incorrectly. (e.g. bug 45505 )
> - The text effects, like shadow, soft edges, glow, etc. are missing
> (e.g. bug 44135)

	There are always plenty of bugs :-) This is a developers list - where
you can expect code pointers to help hack on and fix such bugs, and
review / merging of any patches you've come up with.

> - Embedded charts, etc. are missing

	That surprises me.

> I'd like to know the status of these issues. Are developers working on
> any of these or are there any technical difficulties in fixing these
> bugs?

	If the bug doesn't say anyone is working on it - it's a good sign that
they are not. However - unless you yourself want to work on it - this is
not a great forum to discuss bugs in - go to the discuss list for that.

	If you are a non-developer and need bugs fixing to your timeline it is
best to contract support for that from one of the many companies
providing those services around LibreOffice :-) That way you can help
the developer : bug imbalance for the project !

	All the best,

		Michael.