minutes of ESC call ..., compiling HSQLDB to executable

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Fri Jun 15 03:07:04 PDT 2012

Noel Grandin <noel <at> peralex.com> writes:
> On 2012-06-15 11:19, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > Anyhow - if we can get this going, I'd love to do it first with
> > LanguageTool: it's Java-ness is what is blocking us bundling that by
> > default, and it'd be great to solve that before the HSQLDB issues I
> > guess. Any interest in playing with a prototype there ? ATB, Michael.
> I'll have a look and report back in a couple of weeks. As is usual, this
> is more work than I initially thought - that's what happens with
> end-of-day bright ideas

You may want to take a look at
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gcj-native-helper (other distros might have
similar tools). On Debian there is already an (mostly) native hsqldb version
created with this:
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libhsqldb-java-gcj

Some upstream documentation can be found here:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcj/Invoking-aot_002dcompile.html

I think Michael's warning about "who owns what" in case you want to do this all
in one process is very important to keep in mind. I would go with a separate out
of process approach for anything java/gcj aot natively compiled. Some issues are
described here if you do want to mix things in one process:
gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcj/Mixing-with-C_002b_002b.html

Cheers,

Mark