gerrit for release branches (bots ftw?)

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Mon Jun 18 06:27:01 PDT 2012

Hi all,

reviewing patches for a release branch is currently a hassle:

submitter:
- find cgit link
- write to mailing list with cgit link asking for review

reviewer:
- check out the release branch
- cherrypick commit on release branch by exctracting the commit-id from the cgit link
- review the commit
- push commit on the release branch
- mail to list that the stuff is pushed

using gerrit its a bit simpler for the reviewer:
- check out the release branch
- gerrit-cherry-pick the commit
- push the commit to the release branch (gerrit will take care of notifying the submitter

but the submitter has a bit more to do:
- check out the release branch
- cherry-pick the commit
- push to refs/for/libreoffice-3-5

While that is rather simple, it could be scripted even simpler. I submitted a bug to gerrit wrt this:

 http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=1446

but maybe I am just overlooking a best practice there. If not, we might
alternatively have either a email or an IRC bot, which you send a message like:

 releasereview 213d5355d78a0a690e366645d6416f4a8fe5e666 libroffice-3-5

and it will do all of the above on its own. Opinions on that? Is it better to
have an IRC or an Email bot?

Best,

Bjoern