shiny uno version, Desktop IDL

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Tue Jun 19 01:42:39 PDT 2012

On 06/14/2012 01:58 PM, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 01:44:58PM +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
>> But then, when you assume the entity's behavior is (largely) static anyway,
>> why not properly codify it in the first place?
>
> Because is lots and lots of bookkeeping and boilerplate for little gain.

Actually writing down the static information can have a huge benefit on
maintainability.  (Even in static languages with type inference like
Haskell, where you would not actually need to write down type
signatures, it is common practice to nevertheless do so especially for
exported entities, for better documentation.)  Witness gbuild: we do run
into cases there where a macro is called with more arguments than it
expects, and at least I often need to decipher definitions (or worse,
use "monkey see, monkey do" copy/paste) to figure out what arguments,
and in what order, a macro takes.  I would *love* to have a more
statically typed machinery there...

Stephan