[ANN] Please -play-with- Gerrit from now on for Patch Review ...

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Jun 19 07:26:50 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:30:22AM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	Personally I'd like to see where we're at with gerrit, how it works,
> get people trained up in the command-line tooling, and get a final
> sign-off from the ESC before we encourage world+wife to deploy this.

Note though that it is hard to directly judge most of the benefits of gerrit
right now.  Personally, I think the biggest gain will be in the better use of
tinderboxes for testbuilding something before it hits master. We are not having
the improvements there now, but we need gerrit as a prerequisite for that.

Also note that the workflows described on the wiki are more complex than they
will need to be in the end: Right now, instead of doing an approving review
(which will trigger gerrit to automatically push the change), you still have to
manually push to fd.o.

We should move through this intermediate state as fast as possible to get to a
pure gerrit setup in the end. Lets fight the "Nothing is as permanent as a
temporary solution" anti-pattern viciously here.

And indeed, everyone training themselves to use the command line tooling and
provide feedback and improvements on the current setup are the best way to get
there without hitting too many bumps in the road.

Best,

Bjoern