Precompiled headers?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Jun 20 06:19:53 PDT 2012

On Tuesday 19 of June 2012, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 02:32:23PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  does somebody know why support for precompiled headers has been removed
> > from LibreOffice?
>
> So back in the days:
> - lack of an insanely fast windows tinderbox
> - most people are on non-pch platforms, breaking the pch build regularly

 I know that PCH builds can break non-PCH (because of missing required
#includes), but how can it break the other way around, given that PCH is some
kind of extra? The only thing I'm aware of is MSVC requiring explicit
#include of the PCH header everywhere (and people break build regularly
because generic Unix/Windows differences, ancient gcc on MacOSX, not
using --enable-gdbutil, and other reasons that I'd expect to be more likely
to happen).

> I shed a tear after the decision, as getting PCH into gbuild was real pain

 What should be the problem there? I don't understand all the details of
gbuild, but just looking at it it seems rather straightforward, create an
extra file, depend on it, build with it.

> -- topped in complexity only by the stuff needed for three-layer office. As
> long as we have most devs on non-windows platforms, we would need something
> like gerrit, quick windows tinderboxes and a real good tinderbox dispatcher
> to make like not suck for everyone with PCH.

 Given that PCH is primarily for Windows, life already does suck for those
people. And I think we already have tinderboxes capable of checking this in
reasonable time, so I'd consider this covered.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz