[libreoffice-projects] [ANN] Please use Gerrit from now on for Patch Review

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Thu Jun 21 01:06:28 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 07:53:42AM +0200, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> What I fear the most in that is that I have no way to mark a patch as
> "I won't review it, not my area / I don't know / don't understand /
> ...". With publish-to-ML, I just mark the post / whole thread as
> "read". With gerrit, I fear I will see the same patch ever and ever
> again in my queries...

The web UI allows you to "star" a patch, and that is queryable from the
commandline, but I dont know if it can be set from the commandline.

> As I review very few patches, keeping me happy in this respect is
> probably not high priority, except maybe as a long tail argument (if
> we have 100 committers reviewing one patch per two months, that's
> still 600 reviews per year... Worth having for the project).

For 6 changes per year, wouldnt you already be well served with the "watched
projects"? You can select in gerrit preferences to "watch" a project and get
emails for each an every change in it (which is pretty much as good as a
mailing list). But you can already filter there for changes touching certain
files matching a regex e.g. ^connectivity/.*$ in addition(*), which I
personally consider a killer feature. I guess you can find your 6 patches a
year a lot easier with that than with one catch-all list (and if you did not
review a patch after a 2 month, you just have a look at what is open)

That said: registering a bot at gerrit with the mailing list as email and make
it watch all of core should be rather trivial (once the mailing list is set up).

Best,

Bjoern

(*) although there are currently some limitations on the file path filtering --
as gerrit seems to check those only when a change is uploaded, so you cant
interactively tweak them. I hope gerrit will fix this to get so you can tweak
this an get results "live".