[libreoffice-projects] [ANN] Please use Gerrit from now on for Patch Review

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Thu Jun 21 02:25:18 PDT 2012

Hi,

On 2012-06-21 at 10:55 +0200, d.ostrovsky at idaia.de wrote:

> > Something like:
> > - a short dialy digest of changes to keep reviewers in the loop
> > - _one_ mail once a change goes in with all the comments/revisions and
> >   back-and-forth for this change in context in it
> >
> > or something completely different? We might get rid of the first (or
> > only send
> > it if there are changes untouched for more than a day) later or never do the
> > second or tweak all of that, but for now we need a sensible start ;)
> >
> Sensible start would be:
> 1. set up a new ML: Libreoffice-gerrit (analogical to LO-COMMIT ML)
> 2. subscribe dev ML to get a daily digest from the 1. (or generate the
> digest manually).
> 3. set up IRC Bot to #libreoffice channel to notificate about gerrit events.

So, me myself I'd like to get the gerrit notices going to the main
mailing list, because I still want the current workflow (patches being
sent to the development mailing list) possible.  If one gets it from the
ML, and pushes it, that's it.

Though, for the review process via gerrit, anybody should be able to
forward it to some review at gerrit.libreoffice.org or something (as
already discussed in the other part of the thread, IIRC) that will just
take the git format-patch's output from the mail, and apply it in
gerrit.  Gerrit then should send mail back to the ML + the author with
the References: and In-reply-to: headers set up correctly so that it is
a threaded answer to the original mail, informing the patch author in a
friendly way that the patch has been applied in gerrit, and is pending
for review.  All the subsequent answers, should again go to the ML,
again with the right References: and In-reply-to:, to keep threading.

Of course - the gerrit mails should set their own X-gerrit-review: (or
what) header so that people who do not want to see them in their
libreoffice@ ML folder would be able to filter that out.

I believe this way we might keep both camps ("everything into ML" like
me, and "only discussions on the ML" like Bjoern) happy - because the
people who want to have only discussions on the ML would be able to
filter out messages based on the X-gerrit-review: header easily.

Regards,
Kendy