big Deps ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu Jun 21 01:57:04 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 18:28 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> IIRC, the logic of cppumaker is to first generate temporary .hpp and
> .hdl files and only copy them over existing ones in solver if they are
> actually different.  That way, it should easily happen that a .hdl file
> is updated while the corresponding .hpp file is not.  (For example, when

	Fair enough; but we could presumably easily tweak that such that a .hdl
and .hpp would be updated in lock-step; after all if the .hpp is not
changed - it necessarily includes the .hdl - so we didn't really gain
anything from not touching the .hpp :-)

	[ indeed, I'm sure there is one - but what is the benefit of separating
the .hdl files out, if we are sure that each .hpp will include all of
it's dependent .hpp's ? ].

> a method is added to an interface and cppumaker is not running in
> "comprehensive type information" mode; or when a bug in cppumaker is
> fixed affecting .hdl but not .hpp output).

	Sure sure - but we could conceptually tweak cppumaker to do the diff on
the pair and update both timestamps if one changes - and loose 25% of
our dependency rules with a trivial regexp :-)

> > 	Also - do all IDL generated .hpp deps ultimately include all the .hdl
>
> Each .hpp file includes the corresponding .hdl file (if any), yes.

	Great.

> > 	Then again a small number of files include .hdl files directly;
>> is that a bug ? :-)
>
> Looks like a bug, yes.  Care to share the list?

	Nice; it's easier to generate than send:

	git grep 'include.*\.hdl'

	only 127 instances luckily.

	ATB,

		Michael.