My experience: Gerrit from a casual contributors view

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Thu Jun 21 06:06:25 PDT 2012

Hi Sebastian,

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 01:34:23PM +0200, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> Hi all, I just pushed my first test patch to gerrit and would like to
> share my steps and issues:
>
> 1) Registered account using openid: painless. Being able to use your
>    gmail/yahoo/launchpad account is a boon. Not another random password :)
>    Added ssh key. This was an easy process.

Great!

> 2) Failed to find out if I have to pull from the gerrit git repository
>    somehow, no docs on this, so I started with my FDO git repo.

Yes, I understand that this is currently somewhat confusing. It will be a lot
less confusing when fd.o is a read-only mirror and all pushes (even direct ones
bypassing review) go to gerrit.libreoffice.org.

Yuck. Might be worth a bug report at http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/issues/list
.
> 5) Pushed again: Hurray, the patch is at
>    https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/231/ now. Waiting for reviews :-)

Looking good, commented, pushed to fd.o

> That should have been it from a contributors point of view, right?

Right.

> What happens after reviewer +1'd it? Do I have to do something or who would
> push to master?

The submitter doesnt have to do anything (unless there is a negative feedback).
Reviewer have to take it from there.

;) see current work at https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/229/

> P.S. core is still described as "test repo that is going to be
> discarded" in gerrit.

updated. ;)

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Best,

Bjoern