[ANN] Please use Gerrit from now on for Patch Review

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 11:08:10 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Pierre-André Jacquod
<pjacquod at alumni.ethz.ch> wrote:
> I push to gerrit and let tinderbox run. In case of success I get ? a +1 of
> each tinderbox ?
Right now we don;t have tinderbox doing that yet... but when we do,
you'll need to asd a Review +1 to get the auto-build happen

> How do I know it passes with success.
You should get email notification of stuff happening on your patches
(at least you can set that up in your setting)
so you'll get a notification of the activity of the buildbot. depnding
on the sucess/failure, they will but Verify +1 or -1 on your patch

> Once tinderbox is successful, since my change is small or I am confident
> with, I put a +2 to my patch, which means this will insert automatically it
> to master.
No it means that you will  then click 'publish and submit' as you set the +2
(that is once we swtich to gerrit being the main git repo and fdo
being read-only)

> So I will be able to positive review my own patch ?

yes

> 2. If I have several patches, that need to be together, how should I proceed
> with pushing them together to gerrit ? (If I want to have three patches in
> the same review ID from gerrit) ?
Yes, gerrit keep track that a patch 'depend on' the one before it.

> [ADMIN]
> 1. I followed the asked process of setting up an account, etc.. mailed to
> Norbert so he can match my fd.o account to gerrit. Well, how may I now see
> that I actually have / will have commit access to gerrit repo ?

in your setting/Groups on gerrit you can see the groups you are in

> 2. When my ssh key expires, it is enough to just change it into my gerrit
> account ?
yes, although I'm confused with 'expiration' for ssh-key  aren't you
mixing gpg-key and ssh-key concept ?

> 3. May be a stupid remark, but why do not use this way (opening gerrit
> account ) then to ask for license stuff ?

There is a hidden/poorly documented feature in gerrit to do just that
(CLA ack) but I haven't experimented with it yet...

> You would have to ack to be able
> to open account, or to load patches. This would ease, ensure the process
> towards this goal ?
apparently there is a hook that get call when CLA is agree upon, which
should allow to automatically promote a user to a different group upon
clearance of the license issue.
This is all doable, but not yet on the top of the to-do list :-)

Norbert