vcl checkbox behaviour

Noel Power nopower at suse.com
Mon Jun 25 03:46:52 PDT 2012

I wonder is the behaviour that I see here normal or expected ( to me is
isn't but I am not very ui-enabled ). Look at the attached jpeg, the
first three checkboxes have the Align property set as Left, Center and
Right, with no label the checkbox 'box' is aligned within the bounding
rectangle of the control according to the 'Align' property. However, if
there is a label then the checkbox 'box' is always left aligned and it
is the text label that is aligned according to the 'Align' property. Now
to my puny brain the latter behaviour ( as if there is a label present )
is what I would expect always. I would like to change the behaviour to
be like that, but... the code is obviously and intentionally written to
behave in the way described, does this make sense? would it be ok to
change this? is it only me that things this is bizarre?
For context this behaviour is causing me some grief when importing
controls from mso formats, I could of course add some flag to the vcl
Checkbox[*] class to make it behave like I wish conditionally, note:
that also could require the toolbox awt ( and formcontrol ) uno checkbox
control to support an extra flag also that could be persisted or their
behaviour could independently be changed unconditionally ( and no need
to support extra properties ).
I am somewhat stumbling over what would be best to do, change the
underlying vcl class unconditionally ? ( that would imply the uno
controls behaviour also changes unconditionally ) or ... if we change
the underlying vcl class conditionally what about the uno controls?,
should we change them also conditionally? or unconditionally? It would
seem to me if there is some consensus that the 'normal' vcl behaviour is
not that normal but is 'abnormal' then I would be inclined to change the
vcl class unconditionally ( and similarly the behaviour of the dependant
uno controls ) Any thoughts ?

Noel

[*] same issue exists for (at least) for radio buttons