installation sets, parallel compression, pigz etc.

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Wed Jun 27 02:30:12 PDT 2012

Michael Stahl píše v Út 26. 06. 2012 v 17:02 +0200:
> i've noticed that building "archive" installation sets on my machine is
> entirely CPU bound (since everything fits into RAM) and a single "gzip"
> takes up most of the time, so i've toyed around a little with a parallel
> implementation "pigz" (available in Fedora) and a single line change
> makes quite a difference
>
> real    2m55.031s
> user    3m7.863s
> sys     0m10.980s
>
> real    0m39.902s
> user    4m40.154s
> sys     0m12.257s

That sounds great.

Unfortunately, the patch can't be applied as is. Would you mind to add a
configure check for gzip/pigz and call it via an variable?

> i wonder, is this something that would enable us to do release builds
> faster; of course since i don't do those i don't know to what extent it
> could help, especially as we don't release "archive" but "rpm" (and
> "deb"?) installation sets, and probably those will have their
> compression done by something invoked by rpm... but at least for
> gzip/pigz the tools look compatible, so perhaps putting it in PATH with
> the right name could be done.

We could also somehow tweak the internal epm. Well, AFAIK, the tasks for
creating normal installation, help packs, lang packs, debs and rpms are
done in parallel, so we already have some kind of parallelism.

Best Regards,
Petr