Decimal-Fidelity in Calc Interchange (was RE: Difficulties with Flat XML under source control)

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Thu Jun 28 15:48:11 PDT 2012

Thanks to the laws of serendipity, I just ran into the paper by Michel Hack on "On Intermediate Precision Requirements for Correctly-Rounding Decimal-to-Binary Floating-Point Conversion."  The PDF is one of the papers available at <http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/Reports/TR-08-2004/>.  The references are all valuable, with citation of the work of David Matula and others.  I recall that Guy Steele looked at this issue in the work on Common Lisp, but I no longer have source information.  I suspect that Java and Fortress work would address this, especially because Java specifies IEEE binary as the internal form.

There may be other papers in this family that are of interest in taking the bumps out of the use of decimal floating-point values in the persistent form of cell values in spreadsheet documents and in formulas having decimal-notation literal values, especially where the internal use is via conversion to and then from a decimal-incommensurate arithmetic.

I am changing the subject so this thread is recognized for where it has wandered. I've also stitched the part related to number drift and conversion fidelity back in.

 - Dennis