minutes of ESC call ...

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Fri Jun 29 05:47:58 PDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-06-29 at 09:56 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 		+ (Caolan) 'C' locale is a 'no idea what people want' locale

I mean that a huge amount of people use the en_US locale as their
default "I want everything in English even though I'm not in the US"
locale[1] so that its probably useless to assume too much from an en_US
locale. On the other hand though if its *not* an en_US locale, e.g.
nl_NL, hi_IN, ja_JP or some such then it would seem fairly reasonable to
assume that the locale means what it says. So... one (odd I suppose)
possibility would be to continue the current logic of hiding either or
both of the CJK and CTL options based on the locale if that locale
*isn't* en_US.

Maybe another possibility is to dig around the various system and
LibreOffice locale subsettings a bit deeper to see if there's any
evidence that e.g. enabling CJK/CTL would be useful. i.e. if *any*
locale setting is set to a territory using a CJK language toggle them on
or if e.g. the underlying locale settings are en_US but the paper has
been changed to A4 then they're lying about being in the US so toggle
everything on :-)

> 			add an easy one-click button to see these ?

> * un-merged patches in bugzilla (Bjoern)
> 	+ Bjoern worked on a few, many are already merged => just close them.
> 	+ query of doom for the recent batch:
> 	  https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?chfieldto=Now&chfield=[Bug%20creation]&chfield=alias&chfield=assigned_to&chfield=cclist_accessible&chfield=component&chfield=deadline&chfield=everconfirmed&chfield=rep_platform&chfield=op_sys&chfield=priority&chfield=product&chfield=qa_contact&chfield=reporter_accessible&chfield=resolution&chfield=bug_severity&chfield=bug_status&chfield=short_desc&chfield=target_milestone&chfield=bug_file_loc&chfield=version&chfield=votes&chfield=status_whiteboard&query_format=advanced&chfieldfrom=2012-05-10&list_id=88624&field0-0-0=attachments.ispatch&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&bug_status=PLEASETEST&type0-0-0=equals&value0-0-0=1&product=LibreOffice

I looked through some of these, some patches are just experimental stuff
or debugging patches or obsolete stuff. I *tried* to make a query to get
a list of bugs that contain > 1 non obsolete patches and mark the
debugging patches as obsolete to try and weed out the noise but failed.
Anyone got better bugzilla query king-fu to make the right query for
that ?

C.

[1] There is the en_DK Linux locale which would, to my mind, fit a sort
of "international english" pseudo-locale which would e.g. have A4 paper
and not US letter as default paper, iso YYYY-MM-DD dates, not US date
style. Unclear though what spelling standard would be in use. UK English
with OED spelling rules for -ize, rumoured to be the in-house standard
in many international organizations, would be tempting, i.e. langtag
en-GB-oed. But what currency then, bah...