LibreOffice fails to recognize MATE as GNOME/GTK-based desktop

Arnaud Champollion arnaud.champollion at laposte.net
Sat Mar 3 00:36:19 PST 2012

Hello,

I've been advised to post here.

I have LibreOffice 3.4.5
OOO340m1 (Build:502)

on Debian Wheezy, with MATE desktop.

In LibreOffice, it's impossible tu use GTK open/save dialog boxes.

The problem have been solved by adding

export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome

to ~/.profile

and

if [ -r ~/.profile ]; then
     . ~/.profile
fi

to ~/.xsessionrc

Here is the conclusion of Mirosław Zalewski, who helped me on the user
mailing list :

LightDM on login reads script set in session-wrapper in
/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file. On Debian, this is /etc/X11/Xsession.

That script sets up X environment, by reading files in /etc/X11/Xsession.d
directory. One of them sources users' XSESSIONRC file, which is
~/.xsessionrc.

In my solution, I tell to put there statement, that reads ~/.profile if it
exists and is readable. Then I tell to put OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP in that
~/.profile
file.

So, in fact, you could put OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP in ~/.xsessionrc and it should
work. I suggest to put in ~/.profile file, because that way you can have
all
environment variables in that one single file. If you ever happen to switch
from LightDM to other graphical login manager, or decide to not use any
graphical login manager at all, all your variables should be in place
(or will
be with minimal configuration).

--
Arnaud Champollion