offapi again builds faster; user of gb_Deliver_deliver responsible for the directory

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Tue Mar 6 02:55:57 PST 2012

Hi Matus,

On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 23:11 +0100, Matúš Kukan wrote:
> I was inspired by Norbert's work in d44a3e291cb8c4b3ec5ce1775edd527b475ebca4
> On cygwin this is really improvement:
> Building offapi is now much faster if you build with only one job: make -sr
> real    27m38s  ->  12m6s

	Lovely ! :-) so we halving(?) the number of processes being spawned
halves the time ?

	I guess the other big win there to get the time down to seconds would
be to get idlc/'s idlcpp to compile lots of these IDL files at once.
That looks like something that idlc/source/idlcmain.cxx either already
does, or could trivially be adapted to (with a rather easy-to-verify
"did it work" mode by diffing the generated .hpp/.hdl files I guess).
That is assuming that some large chunk of the overhead on windows comes
from several thousand invocations of the same small tool :-)

	Would that interest you Matus ? or should I file an easy hack ?

	Anyhow - nice work, and lovely speedup :-)

	All the best,

		Michael.