offapi again builds faster; user of gb_Deliver_deliver responsible for the directory

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Tue Mar 6 07:13:50 PST 2012

On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 12:43 +0100, Matúš Kukan wrote:
> On 6 March 2012 11:55, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at suse.com> wrote:
> >        I guess the other big win there to get the time down to seconds would
> > be to get idlc/'s idlcpp to compile lots of these IDL files at once.
>
> Not really. On Linux this may be true but with cygwin processing idl
> files is not the main issue.

	Ah ! :-)

> On cygwin, most of the time takes 5, and touching files is also slow.
> The real work there in 2, and 4, is +-fast and you won't save much by
> making it faster.

	Makes sense; great to see you've done some really detailed analysis
already that puts mine to shame :-)

> This seems to be true but idlc is called less than touch and much less than cp.
> So, maybe next improvement would be to call cp once for all files from
> the same directory.

	Sounds sensible :-)

> Maybe you could file an easy hack for improving gbuild's Package.mk,

	Pushed to my queue of things to file, thanks :-)

On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 14:10 +0200, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> > So, maybe next improvement would be to call cp once for all files
> > from the same directory.
>
> As we de facto are requiring to use our own fork of Make anyway
> (aren't we?).

	Not really, though we have a copy of a recent cvs version around it is
deliberately hard to build & use, the sad thing is gnumake is maintained
in cvs & releases rather infrequently ;-(

> couldn't we add "touch", "mkdir" and "cp" functions to
> Make? Implementing those should be fairly trivial.

	Would be lovely, would be even better to get them up-stream.

> If we don't want to require our own Make fork, we could wrap these in
> gbuild macros that check the Make version and call external commands
> instead if needed.

	:-) I guess that's actually relatively easy to do:

	 make/function.c (func_shell_base) after the construct_command_argv
call looks like a sensible place to insert that lot, and there doesn't
seem to be anything there already that does this for us that we can just
enable (sadly).

	Interesting ideas for sure, should I push that to the easy-hacks list
too ? :-)

	ATB,

		Michael.