GNU make version

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Tue Mar 6 10:56:20 PST 2012

On 06/03/12 18:12, Michael Meeks wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 19:08 +0200, Noel Grandin wrote:
>> Don't see why we shouldn't maintain our own patched copy of gmake the
>> same way we maintain patched copies of other components.
>
> 	There was a long discussion about this at the ESC :-) and I disagree
> with the decision, am still suffering slower builds from it on all my
> machines, but don't much feel like re-opening it personally.

uhm, wasn't one of the reasons for picking GNU make that "it's standard,
and available everywhere, and we won't get stuck in the situation where
we have to maintain our own build tool" ?

> 	We currently have an improved / patched version of gnumake here:
>
> 	http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/contrib/dev-tools/
>
> 	Which has the speedup patch, and Norbert's nice debugging code etc.
> unfortunately it is extremely non-trivial to get that to automatically
> work as part of the build.
>
> 	Personally, I'd be thrilled to have a '--with-internal-gmake' configure
> option that would download, build, locally install and setup the paths
> to use an internal, faster gnumake - so I could just add it to my
> autogen.lastrun's -and- IIRC that'd be ok by what we decided last on the
> topic too.

personally i'd be rather more thrilled if all those nice patches found
their way upstream and a new release were done (after we test it on all
platforms of course).

then we can consider making that release a pre-requisite for LO build...